Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Courtesy??

Courtesy...a thing of the past. Or, am I really getting older?
Too many incidents in the past few days to really ignore. Where do I start? In my office, where else.? You would expect that on a relative basis, educated folks would have better courtesy. I was sadly disappointed. At lunch, on a table that can seat 4, a fifth guy elbows his way between me and the guy on my left and plonks his plate on the table. There is no space for his chair, so he sits slightly behind me and pokes at his food bravely. I have some problems with this:

1. Why should he choose to sit there when there is obviously no space at the table.
2. If he decides to sit, isn't it basic courtesy (or am I asking for too much) to request me to move slightly... a polite "excuse me" would have sufficed.

Our hero's actions had the effect of me quickly downing my food and getting out of the damn place.

Second incident this morning: Girl at water cooler with 2 glasses. Fills up her glass. Expect her to move away. No chance. She stands at the cooler clutching at the nozzle while she drinks. All the while, yours truly is standing behind her, silently fuming.

Definitely a thing of the past, that uncommon trait called courtesy.

No comments:

Post a Comment