Search This Blog

Monday, December 6, 2010

Switch MFIs

Over the weekend, I did something I had been planning to do for a long time. I switched mutual fund units from an under-performing sector to one which "experts" recommended. Need to track my portfolio to see if my decision was correct.
From a broader perspective, it seems to me that tracking your portfolio and dropping under-performing funds is a difficult exercise. These are the typical problems I foresee:

* Time to track the portfolio on a regular basis
* Expertise required is an issue - how do I know if a particular fund is under-performing?
* Timing - They say you can never time the market. This applies to exiting a fund as well.

Bottom-line: It's going to be some time before I can confidently say I know what I'm doing when I'm switching funds :)

No comments:

Post a Comment